Author Topic: Strengthening the network  (Read 997 times)

Offline StevenSaxtonBERNdev

• Administrator
  • BERN baby, BERN
    • BERNcash - Break the big banks! #JillNotHill
Strengthening the network
« on: May 05, 2016, 02:05:31 PM »
Hi fellow berners, I have an announcement of another aspect of BERN I have been working on.

Presently, BERN has two DDoS protected seed nodes. My good friend Crysx of Granitecoin, a Bernie Sanders supporter, is aiding bern by donating additional seed nodes.  We will be adding 5 more, for a total of 7 seed nodes. These will be built into the new wallet. What this means is syncing will happen faster and more reliably. These seed nodes will also help insure forks do not happen on the network. These seed nodes will each be loaded with 25k bern from the instamine. This measure is taken to strengthen PoS on the network and prevent PoS block forks.

These steps will make the bern network a step above the average crypto network. I am grateful for Crysx and Granitecoin for the generosity.

#BernieOrBust

Steven Saxton - BERN Lead Developer - #JillTheBERN #MineTheBERN

Offline ^eSe^ DonMarco

• Global Moderator
  • #FeelTheBERN
Re: Strengthening the network
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2016, 02:41:13 PM »
Nice!

My node will incoded as well? or no?

what is the point anyway to ddos node? it's can make fork or fake transactions?
Feel free to ask me anything You want :)
#FeelTheBern

• Administrator
  • BERN baby, BERN
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2016, 03:23:17 PM »
Nice!

No, I would not want to hard code your node. The reason being is, I would not have complete control of it. Take no offense in me saying that, it is not that I do not trust you DonMarco, I do. As the dev of bern, people trust me to make sure the network is running smoothly all the time and I do accept that responsibility. But I need direct access to the seed nodes and supporting network in case something needs done immediately. I do appreciate the offer but, I must respectfully decline hard coding your node. That is not to say your node does not help the network, it does in fact. The hard coded nodes are just where it will first look for connections. Shortly after, these seed nodes inform a wallet of other existing and valid nodes, such as yours.

DDoS protection is to prevent DDoS attacks on a server, in this case a seed node, by malicious people wishing to slow or stop the responsiveness of that server. If the seed nodes did not have this protection, an attacker could flood the seed nodes with so much "fictitious" data requests, it would fail on some data requests. Some of them might be unanswered valid data requests and people would have problems, perhaps not even be able to, sync. It is a slightly more financially costly layer of protection but, for a server that needs to be responding 24/7 and is mission critical, it is a must. Not all projects demand this layer of protection. In fact, many coins do go the cheaper route and skip this step. Skipping this step is not worth the risk and I would hate to have the door wide open for malicious attacks.

Rest assured, the two present seed nodes are provided by an industry leader. I spear no expense when it comes to security. The addition of these 5 nodes will mean the network is bullet proof from even natural disasters. Presently, if some disaster took out both the east and west coast of the United States, where the two present nodes are located, BERN might go down in flames as weaker, less protected, and not as high performing nodes and networks start to lose communications, forks will eventually start as various mis-communicating blockchains fight. A disaster would need to be global to break the network after these soon to be implemented network and wallet improvements. At that time, we have bigger things to worry about. Until then, I am making a presidential class crypto currency and supporting network.

Thank you for your questions DonMarco. They provided me the opportunity to demonstrate to the community just how serious a presidential class crypto should be. When. Done. Right.

Offline bigs21024

• #FeelTheBERN
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2016, 03:41:33 PM »
always good stuff and ideas coming from you. thanks for thanks for the info

Offline ^eSe^ DonMarco

• Global Moderator
  • #FeelTheBERN
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2016, 04:10:21 PM »
Nice!

No, I would not want to hard code your node. The reason being is, I would not have complete control of it. Take no offense in me saying that, it is not that I do not trust you DonMarco, I do. As the dev of bern, people trust me to make sure the network is running smoothly all the time and I do accept that responsibility. But I need direct access to the seed nodes and supporting network in case something needs done immediately. I do appreciate the offer but, I must respectfully decline hard coding your node. That is not to say your node does not help the network, it does in fact. The hard coded nodes are just where it will first look for connections. Shortly after, these seed nodes inform a wallet of other existing and valid nodes, such as yours.

DDoS protection is to prevent DDoS attacks on a server, in this case a seed node, by malicious people wishing to slow or stop the responsiveness of that server. If the seed nodes did not have this protection, an attacker could flood the seed nodes with so much "fictitious" data requests, it would fail on some data requests. Some of them might be unanswered valid data requests and people would have problems, perhaps not even be able to, sync. It is a slightly more financially costly layer of protection but, for a server that needs to be responding 24/7 and is mission critical, it is a must. Not all projects demand this layer of protection. In fact, many coins do go the cheaper route and skip this step. Skipping this step is not worth the risk and I would hate to have the door wide open for malicious attacks.

Rest assured, the two present seed nodes are provided by an industry leader. I spear no expense when it comes to security. The addition of these 5 nodes will mean the network is bullet proof from even natural disasters. Presently, if some disaster took out both the east and west coast of the United States, where the two present nodes are located, BERN might go down in flames as weaker, less protected, and not as high performing nodes and networks start to lose communications, forks will eventually start as various mis-communicating blockchains fight. A disaster would need to be global to break the network after these soon to be implemented network and wallet improvements. At that time, we have bigger things to worry about. Until then, I am making a presidential class crypto currency and supporting network.

Thank you for your questions DonMarco. They provided me the opportunity to demonstrate to the community just how serious a presidential class crypto should be. When. Done. Right.

Okey :) Thank You for reply. Nice work done here :)  Keep going and We gonna make it really good.

We need more ppl like You and rest of community!

Thank You
Feel free to ask me anything You want :)
#FeelTheBern

Offline Barry1708

• #FeelTheBERN
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2016, 04:13:50 PM »
Hey,

Reading this gives me more belief in berncash and with this added security layer I can rest assured knowing you are mega serious about this project. It's all coming together nicely. Well done.

Offline chrysophylax

• #FeelTheBERN
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2016, 11:23:24 AM »
hi all ...

just thought i would join and pop in for look around - and came across this thread ...

all the nice things steven said about me are not true - im gruesome - especially without my coffee in the morning - or missing out on sleep ... like now ... ;) ...

the great things about all this - is that different ends of the crypto world can always help in ways - and can benefit each other in other ways ...

crypto helping crypto - thats the way its supposed to be ... granite / bern ... whichever way we look at it - we are all here together ...

i appreciate the kind words - and will work with this awesome dev for a while to come - and hopefully we can all work together on a global scale ...

the strength comes in numbers - and that isnt just a rule of thumb for the network either ... its life ...

anyway - off to sleep for me on this side of the globe ...

ill be around a lot more soon ...

tanx ...

#crysx

Offline chrysophylax

• #FeelTheBERN
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2016, 11:28:46 AM »
hi all ...

just thought i would join and pop in for look around - and came across this thread ...

all the nice things steven said about me are not true - im gruesome - especially without my coffee in the morning - or missing out on sleep ... like now ... ;) ...

the great things about all this - is that different ends of the crypto world can always help in ways - and can benefit each other in other ways ...

crypto helping crypto - thats the way its supposed to be ... bern / granite ... whichever way we look at it - we are all here together ...

i appreciate the kind words - and will work with this awesome dev for a while to come - and hopefully we can all work together on a global scale ...

the strength comes in numbers - and that isnt just a rule of thumb for the network either ... its life ...

tanx ...

#crysx

Offline bigs21024

• #FeelTheBERN
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2016, 07:20:46 PM »
hi all ...

crypto helping crypto - thats the way its supposed to be ... bern / granite ... whichever way we look at it - we are all here together ...

tanx ...

#crysx
welcome bro you found a great place here with great people

• Administrator
  • BERN baby, BERN
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2016, 01:24:17 AM »
hi all ...

tanx ...

#crysx
welcome bro you found a great place here with great people

Yep, great to have my friend and colleague crysx here!  :)  He strongly agrees with Bernie but, is not as certain as I am that we voters here in the states will be able to fight of the influence of big money. He thinks "the businessman" will be president.  ::) I hope my countrymen and I prove him wrong.  #rEVOLution

• Administrator
  • BERN baby, BERN
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2016, 01:19:20 AM »
Can we stop referring to drumpft as a businessman. Draft dodger, inheritance getter, tax evader, bankruptcy king. Many more accurate names come to mind. ;)

If he would have put his inheritance in a savings account, the interest would yield more money than he has today. He is no businessman. He was handed a fortune on a silver platter.

I hear both Russia and Canada will offer political asylum if drumpft is elected.

Anyway, this thread is about the BERN network.... Presently there are 40 active connections to the first seednode and the other 6 are running flawlessly. Nethash is consistently between 1 and 2 GH/s, often times higher. That is a very respectable nethash, especially for an X14 coin.

Offline insarko

• #FeelTheBERN
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2017, 02:58:47 AM »
Hi, Steven.
I know you are working on masternodes. When will we see them?
From Russia with love

Offline insarko

• #FeelTheBERN
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2017, 01:02:51 AM »
Hi, Steven.
I have almost 3 mil bercoins and I ain't gonna sell
From Russia with love

• Administrator
  • BERN baby, BERN
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2017, 04:14:43 AM »
Hi, Steven.
I have almost 3 mil bercoins and I ain't gonna sell

Hi insarko,

Thank you for holding.

I cannot commit to a time at this point. Please understand I have many commitments. I do hope to have it done in 2017 still however.  Priorities change sometimes on a daily basis. So pinpointing the ETA is impossible. Every effort is being made to have it done this year.

Again, thank you for holding! :)